-
Trump calls for Marine Le Pen to be freed (but she is not in prison)
US president said her embezzlement court case was a ‘witch hunt’
-
France’s €3 book delivery fee challenged in EU court by Amazon
Online retailer said measure is protectionist and ‘in breach of EU laws’
-
Allergies: How to know pollen levels in your commune of France
Interactive online maps can track and predict how pollen is changing in the air
Burkini party call at Cannes
Millionaire targets film festival and the ‘temple of extravagance’ where swim costume was first banned

A man who last year offered to pay the fines of any women charged with wearing the burkini has called for women to target the Cannes Film Festival this week and wear burkinis at a beach party.
Cannes was the first town to introduce the ban last summer and the party organiser, Algerian millionaire Rachid Nekkaz, said he wanted the protest at the film festival because “Cannes is the world showcase of France and the temple of extravagance”.
Right-wing politicians Marine Le Pen and Nadine Morano were leading supporters of the burkini bans and Mr Nekkaz has used their burkini-clad faces on a poster for the Friday afternoon event.
Called Toutes en burkini sur les plages du Festival de Cannes, the beach party was called as Mr Nekkaz said that despite last year’s ban being annulled by the Conseil d’Etat it was still an acute problem for Muslim women.
Stay informed:
Sign up to our free weekly e-newsletter
Subscribe to access all our online articles and receive our printed monthly newspaper The Connexion at your home. News analysis, features and practical help for English-speakers in France
He called on all women to join in the party to celebrate the Conseil d'Etat decision.
Mr Nekkaz told Nice Matin he defended all people’s rights: “I am a defender of the rights of man and woman, of secularism. I defended a woman in September 2013 who was to be flogged because she refused to wear the niqab.”